When Rob and I got engaged I soon decided what kind of wedding dress I wanted. I knew I wanted a full length ivory dress with lace detail, cap sleeves and a sweet heart neckline. As it happened, that is pretty much what I got and I was very happy about it too.
Now, in my dress hunting mode I did not even stop to consider a shorter length dress but the more I see of them the more I like them. My aunt and friend Linda rocked a really cute tea length wedding dress for her wedding. She wore it with a bright red full petticoat and red shoes, the dress swayed brilliantly with every step and she just shone with confidence. That is what has struck me, there is something very joyous and confident in every bride I have seen in a shorter length wedding dress.
So here are five reasons why Brides-to-be should consider a shorter length:
- They look vintage and modern at the same time. Depending on how you style it you can look sleek and modern or you can channel a 1950’s vibe.
- They are much easier to move about in. Now, I loved my dress but as the day progressed my graceful glide did turn into more of an impatient waddle. And whilst a ball gown is the thing to wear for a romantic dance with your new husband, you are probably going to have an easier time dancing for the rest of the evening if your legs have a bit more freedom.
- You can go to town on accessories. A shorter length means you can show off the shoes, whether they be converse or sky scrapers. Little white gloves, hair accessories, even a hat all look perfectly in keeping with a knee-length white dress.
- They might feel more like you. I’ve heard a number of brides say that they don’t want to feel like they are in costume on their wedding day. On your wedding day you want to look like you at your best, but you don’t want to put so much effort in that you end up looking like someone else. A shorter length can help you to keep your individuality.
- 5. They are ever so pretty!
Now obviously, there is no wrong or right answer here. Wear whatever you fall in love with. But as you are browsing the wedding blogs and shops take some time to consider a shorter option. You never know, you might just find the one!
The pics below link to some of my favourite short wedding dresses featured on fantastic wedding blogs.