I was leafing through The Vintage Tea Party Year by Angel Adoree and came across her chapter on children’s birthday party. She says in the introduction:
It got me thinking about all the birthday parties Orla has to come and all the parties that I had when I was little. I have seen on Pinterest and blogs I follow that children’s parties can become elaborate and expensive, with huge decorations and big venues, but I think that really the most fun is probably still had at the simple and laid back parties where there is Jelly and Ice Cream.
Here are the things that I remember making a great birthday party;
- Party dresses that twirl out when you spin in a circle
- Party ring biscuits
- Musical Bumps and Musical Chairs and Musical Statues….one CD player, endless games!
- Themed Birthday Cakes with your favourite toys balancing on the icing
- Party bags with cheap plastic toys
- Giving invitations to your friends
- Grainy home videos of the parties where the adults are all wearing vibrant 90s jumpers (this may not be possible to recreate)
and of course….
- Jelly and Ice Cream!
That’s what makes a good party in my opinion. Have I missed anything out?